Friday, November 6, 2009

Hello Routine!




















The one thing I missed most about Singapore when I was abroad was the weekly prata breakfast we had at the coffeeshop near our place. My mom swears by the tea, without which she says she cannot function. My dad just likes the prata, which, unlike most places, is freshly pulled, slapped on the metal worktop and fried (with a whole load of unhealthy-thou-shalt-pretend-does-not-exist-substances) on your order.

The closest substitutes we had back in London were frozen pratas from Chinatown and A1/Jap curry packs that the boys bought in abundance. And after countless of suppers with the flatmates and ingenious methods, the four of us have unanimously declared that the combination of grilled frozen pratas with A1 curry triumphs everything else. Yes, we grill our pratas and they turn out wonderfully crispy/fluffy/everything you want your prata to be.

So, whether I clubbed till 3am or stayed home the night before, my parents would always make sure that we were there at half 7 for our weekly prata breakfast. And although it's not so much 'Hello Routine' when the former happens (more like a 'Go Away Now, Routine') the year without the real deal has left me pining for my long-lost friend.

It is possibly the only place you'll find me at my worst- read: hair flyaways, half-opened eyes and in my fbts (running shorts, for the uninitiated). But it is also the place that I feel the most comfortable in. Almost like breakfast at home, if you like.

Oh, on a side note, I have been banned from my beloved kitchen by my sister (which explains my lack of experiments). She has officially issued the decree that till the Big Exams are over, I am not allowed to do any noisy whisking, mixing or baking. No, she does not study in my kitchen (As J wondered in amazement). It is just that she has taken over the entire dining room, situated conveniently right next to the kitchen.

But of course, the withdrawal symptoms are too much to take and I have been not-so-secretly studying her schedule so I can fully utilise the pockets of time when she's in school to bake.

No comments: