Friday, December 18, 2009

of christmas and giving

























A friend once told me that philanthropy was merely men's way of making themselves feel good about themselves. I guess different people have different feelings about volunteer work/philanthropy. Some associate it as a purely monetary contribution, while others pursue it as a lifelong commitment.

I've always had very conflicting views over these community involvement projects (CIP). Instead of donating (whatever coins I have in my pocket) weekly to the hoards of teenagers trying to fulfill their quota of CIP along our famous shopping street, I'd rather donate food, something more practical.

So, I spent the greater part of yesterday baking the light fruit cake + chocolate cookies (in gingerbread men cut outs) and driving me and Y down to our nearest hypermarket to stock up on Milo/Coffee/Soda Crackers for the old folks home. Yes, I drove on my own. But I made sure that the carpark was an open-aired one- just so I won't have to deal with the humiliation of cars honking at me while I make my 12948th attempt at reverse park.

Y has been involved with a project on community music, working with dementia patients for the past year. She kindly invited me to join her and professors yesterday as they carried out their 'Christmas Special'. Watching them conduct carolling, simple jigsaw puzzle playing - I doubt there was any other way I could have spent a better afternoon.

Oh and by the way- I gained a whole lot of encouraging fans! 'Ying ah, you should open a shop!' I'm just glad that we were able to make their day- my best Christmas present ever!

No comments: