Saturday, February 23, 2008

quintessential breakfast















Under the massive category of 'food' lies the extremely versatile pain, more commonly known as bread. Well, at least for me, bread is breakfast in London and bread was breakfast that my mum would prepare for me to munch on the way to school (whenever I overslept). The things that one can make with bread are endless.. from French toast, to grilled ham and cheese on white bread, and bread and butter pudding!

But bread on its own, or with a spread still tastes absolutely amazing! Peanut butter (crunchy and smooth), jam in all of its crazy varieties and of course, everyone's favourite- nutella.

However, the one thing that i miss so much, especially being away from home, is Kaya. Yes, the coconut-y, egg-y, pandan infused, sugared spread that i grew up on. The kaya toast that Singaporeans relish for their morning breakfast, only 5 minutes away from home in a nearby kopitiam, alas, is about 14 hours away from me. Weekend morning breakfasts of kaya toast have always been with my family, and even with my lovingly bubble-wrapped bottle of kaya brought over from Sg (that i finished in 4 weeks), it is just not possible to get the same euphoric feeling with the first bite.

Then there's Chubby Hubby. With his recipe posted on his blog for the amazing Kaya spread, and tips from jia's mum, who happens to be an expert, we decided to try a shot at it. And why not? for the first time in london, i was able to enjoy proper kaya.

with bread lightly toasted, generous amounts of kaya, and a dollop of butter to go. yummm.

1 comment:

The Other Affair said...

Next time, I'll DHL kaya to you! Why didn't you tell me earlierrrr!! Anyway, do you even read the comments I left here? Hahaha you're still so blur you knowwwwww!

Love you! (: