Sunday, March 2, 2008

lemons make the world go round

















Lemons, I feel, win hands-down the award for best ingredient. I am always in a 'let's-make-something-lemony' mood. be it tarte au citron, or lemon pound cake, or even in its supporting 'role' for my banana cake recipe- lemons never fail to make me happy. maybe its the colour, an amazing Mr Happy yellow together with its smell of summer permeating my/jia's kitchen, that leaves me in a good mood all day.

We had 5 organic lemons leftover from our banana muffin experiments and we decided to make the first thing that came to our minds- the lemon meringue pie! I mentioned it earlier in the blog that i really wanted to try my hand at it, and voila! several months later, we did it! While we didn't have a proper pie dish (we are poor students, what extravagance!), we substituted for a rectangular-ish 1 inch deep cookie tray which worked just as well. With the remainding dough and lemon curd, we made mini lemon meringue tarts.

I've never tried lemon meringue pies before, and after we made this, I wonder why. The soft, fluffly and sweet meringue perfectly complemented the tart lemon curd - just about the best pairing since roti prata and curry met (that's a completely different issue, but you get my drift). The buttery tart shell acted as the perfect denominator, allowing the explosion of flavours to come together. And while the pie-top was browner than usual, it actually was a very nice golden-sand like brown which up-ed its wow-factor.

so, lemons lemons lemons- perfect for every season, every month, and every day baking!

No comments: