Saturday, March 8, 2008

Rome II

As promised in an earlier blog post - more of Rome in pictures. The food, that is.

Following our little guidebook on the best eats in Rome, we started our hunt for the elusive hangouts. The trail included pizza at Baffeto, pasta at Isodoro, gelato at San Crispino's (mentioned earlier), and of course, 2 of the best recommended places: Panella and San Eustachio's.






























Panella is almost like a neighbourhood bakery, except, when you take your first step in, it seems almost too-cool to be like the old fashioned ones back home. Being an institution on its own for a gazillion varieties of bread, Panella seemed to attract the yuppie crowd- and random tourists like us! With trays and trays of delectable eats everywhere, I spent close to an hour simply just picking what I wanted to eat. They had everything - from middle eastern sweet bread to sachertortes and of course, bread :) Just looking at the baker carrying that surfboard-full of crusty bread made me want to live there forever. Carbs? what Carbs?












































And of course, there was San Eustachio. The renowned establishment located just behind the Pantheon was rather difficult to locate, unless of course, you were a local. Everyone seemed to know the place. San Eustachio is famous for its Coffee - and it apparently has been accoladed with the coveted Best Coffee in Europe title! So, despite not being a coffee fan (i get headaches just by the mere whiff), I decided that I simply had to try it. And I did. We got a shot of some of their good-stuff(I can't remember the name of it), and Boy! was it good! But with the jostling crowd, I won't be surprised if people just ordered, collected, gulped and left. While I did get a slight headache after (which I insist was a result of the crowd. Okay, I am also claustrophobic), it was well worth it! yumm.

No comments: