Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Road Tripp-ed















Road tripped with the guys over the weekend all over Southwest UK. I must say that being the only girl on the trip meant being treated like a princess- from being driven around, to getting the comfy bed, to the guys helping me hold my hp/camera/wallet. So, driving around with a rough destination in mind we ended up going to Stonehench (yawn)- Amesbury (for breakfast)- Bath (for lunch)- Exeter (double yawn)- Torquay (for dinner)- St Austell (for the night)- Minarck Theatre (with its AMAZING view)- Land's End- New Quay-Bodwin- Launceston. It was a crazy amount of cities covered over 2 days, at the expense of dave and gang's 'clutch' muscles. I saw UK in a completely different light - I never thought I would ever say this, but the UK does have its pretty sights.




















We probably spent more time in the car than sightseeing but it was great fun! Having a different meal in a different city was crazy, but we did get to try really good food in both Bath and Torquay :)














Lunch at Bath was at Sally Lunn's Tea House. Having been there with the lover a few weeks back, I decided that it was probably the best place to bring the guys to. I love Sally Lunn's. While its buns are seriously not that fantastic, I love being in the teahouse. The victorian style interiors and the bustle of the salon just screams perfect. Quaint stuff- I like. All of us had the smoked salmon bun while dave tried the rare-bit (a mixture of cheese) which tasted equally yummy.

















Dinner at Torquay - the English Riveria, @ No.7. Gang did mention how the English never had anything authentic, that most of the sights were a semblance to some other famous landmark. Well, perhaps its true. But somehow, I do feel that food sets cities and countries apart. Cuisine should be revered as a landmark, dammit. Afterall, isn't it true that no two cities have their food the same way. Similarities, yes, but yet, somehow every city retains a unique-ness to their style.

Using Dave's trusty-for-the-day wireless internet, we found 'No. 7' - a Michelin rated restaurant in Torquay. The seafood was so impeccably fresh and was so well done, I swear the scallops melted in my mouth. I mean, even the bread (that came with our starter) was marvellous. And to have a table full of people gawking at how crispy yet soft the bread was - was crazy. But it happened.














And although food the next day was a Chicken-Cottage lookalike place in Launceston, the trip itself was way fun. City-hopping was great, the company was great, and yes, the food was fantastic! It made my week-long abstinence from carbs well-worth it. I can't wait for the next road-trip! Whee!

No comments: