Monday, January 19, 2009

Long overdue heritage tours: Amazing Race Part 2




















The BFF and I were torn between calling our random walks across singapore 'heritage tours' or 'the (slow) Amazing Race'. But yes, it was a mix of both really. We started from Chinatown, walking through the crazy crowds, exploring the markets, and the millions of textile shops above the main square. With it being the 2 week run-up to the Chinese New Year, all things red were flashing proudly, accompanied by terrible, yet familiar CNY songs. Yes, i find them terrible, so sue me. That said, CNY wouldn't be CNY without them. SO. contradiction contradiction.

Chinatown got too crowded after a while, so in our pursuit of somewhere less maddening we tried to find our way to Ann Siang Hill. As mentioned in an earlier post, I have a crazy thing for shophouses. And Ann Siang Hill is the land of shophouses. What I find most intriguing is the fact that the facades are kept, but the insides are completely modern- with shops selling streetwear, to cakes, to high street brands. The unraveling of the old school mosaic exteriors to modern and functional interiors makes me feel like i've stepped into a completely different world. Okay, I do think it could be the air conditioning which makes the 'stepping in' process a whole lot cooler, literally. I don't know if I'm making sense here, but i don't know if I want too. Ann Siang is just a place for you to come see and fall in love with, and it'll never be for the same reasons, I guess.






































I'm slightly ashamed to say that we had to rely on a pocket map that the BFF's mom got to help us navigate. We got a little lost somewhere along the way, but thank god the BFF can read maps (having a map, and knowing how to read it are completely different matters). And so, from Ann Siang, we headed off down Club Street and then on to Amoy Street Hawker Center. Having worked in the area, I've heard a million and one rave reviews about the food at Amoy. However, that million and one rave reviews= crazy long queues= not a good idea for lunch. But, it was a Saturday, and Saturday meant no people in suits fighting for a table, or standing in the long lines. Butbut, Saturday also meant that a lot of stalls weren't opened :( nonetheless, we managed to find a Malay Stall with the most amazing briyani ever. and i'm pretty sure it wasn't because we were hungry.

Along our tan-inducing walk, we chanced upon a very old school coffee bean shop. We have the amazing Monmouth in London, but I do think the old school coffee bean shops in Singapore are comparable. The aroma of the freshly ground coffee beans really takes the cake. Yes, i don't think the beans come from all over the world, but I love the old-fashioned, and these are the best.

I can't remember where we took the MRT from, but we ended up at Rochor for my last fix of Soya Bean Milk :) I only drink it from one place and one place only! I introduced it to the BFF during our secondary school days- and I'd drag her (we walked, mind you) all the way there just so we could have the iced-cold drink. yuum.

It's tradition, I say.






















No comments: