Saturday, February 28, 2009

the carrot cake














Yes, this is getting a little obscene- i really shouldn't be baking and blogging twice in one day. But, it is the carrot cake, and there's never such a thing as too much baking in a day. Especially when my oven has decided to be nice to me today.

According to Pau, the center of (raw) carrots are really sweet, but being a real big non-vege lover, I think the only way I'll have carrots are in a cake.

Maybe its the generation gap, or maybe its my daddy being traditional. But it never fails to amuse me when he would look at the cake in deject and say 'This is not carrot cake!'. Sorry daddy, the day I can make Chai Tow Kuei (The Chinese-style white turnip cake), will be the day I can take over the world.

Well J did tell me that it's not difficult to make the Chinese version, so I shall attempt it one day. Watch out world, mwahha.

Still, I insist that my (amazing cookbook's) version of the classic american carrot cake is pretty decent, and it'll only be complete with a layer (or two) of cream cheese frosting. And unlike the Chinese-style version where people actually have debates over whether the white version or black version is better- the carrot cake's perfect just like that.

No debate required.

No comments: