Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Transit City




















For so many reasons, London just seems to be a transit city. So many people have called London home, but only for a small pocket of time in their lives. Some come, lured by the opportunities the City holds, others, to etch out a better living; Or, some, in possession of the choice to pursue higher education in this crazy, yet wonderful city I've called home for 3 years.

I'll never forget returning home from summer break and hearing numerous 'Oh, it's good to have you back' everywhere I went, from people from all walks of life. It felt so strange, yet so right. London was just that. A transit city. Yet, a transit city that people somehow find each other and form friendships that may or may not outlive the future geographical distance that might span between them.

I've found great friends during my three years here. Friends supportive of what I want to do (i.e. eat all the stuff I bake- successes and failures), friends who listen to my constant ramblings and friends who are there to hold me up when I've had a drink (or two) too many. And I do hope that geography will never take its toll.

But graduating from university represents my step away from my transit city. Small steps (since LCB means a few more months here). I guess its that moment of real adulthood beckoning, so enticing, so liberating, yet so scary. I'm glad mummy came.

Pictures: Graduation Celebration Dinner at Homage (The Waldorf Hilton)






































No comments: