Sunday, October 24, 2010

Homecoming

























Sometimes, we get so caught up with getting by day to day that we forget. We forget the dreams we once used to have, forget the love and passion that bred creativity and experimentation. And more importantly, we forget that sometimes, it is this very dream that completes you, that gives you the very energy you need to get by.

I have neglected my buttersugarflour for an inexcusable length of time. For some strange reason, perhaps due the successive triumph of my weekend lazybones, it didn't feel like it was that big a deal. But I guess withdrawal symptoms surface at different points with different people- some go into cold turkey right away and some succeed for a while before really hitting you hard. I was, of course, the latter.

It finally hit me, after spending two hours being surrounded by terribly gorgeous cake moulds, that really, I've truly missed my long lost friends. And that really, placing me in the middle of cake mould land is as detrimental as placing me in a shop filled with gorgeous prêt-à-porter! Needless to say, I couldn't have gone home empty handed could I?

Buidling the cake's body was itself such an indulgence! Liquid, dry ingredients, liquid. Adding complexity with every humble ingredient, folding everything till it became one cohesive velvety smooth layer and finally tumbling the contents into the gorgeous moulds. Everything just seemed so in sync and exactly how it should have been.

I guess we all have bad days (or weeks). Perhaps then, the only way to get yourself out of a rut and start embracing whatever life has to offer- good or bad, is to go back to what truly makes you happy.

Everything will fall into place. Somehow.

No comments: