Monday, December 8, 2008

Cake Week :)


So after the crazy last two days in London spent with friends, it was time to celebrate the big 2-1 with the family. Maybe it was cause I was so excited about spending the first birthday in 2 years with the family, and maybe it was cause I was still in disbelief about getting Mr Ken. Ok, I think both. I just hope people on the plane didn't think I was some loony. Smiling to oneself is not really a reason for them to suspect otherwise.
The actual birthday itself was spent with the parents and mei. Mummy and Daddy took us to Carousel at Royal Plaza on Scotts for the buffet lunch. I actually told mummy before that I had a new fixation with oysters, so imagine my disappointment when I didn't see any oysters at the line (they only had it for dinner). BUTBUT! because of some crazy special arrangements, a plate of 12 oysters sat in front of me after I got back from getting my sushi. holy moly. imagine my sheer shock! that made everything 10x better i swear.
Best part was, when I thought daddy was getting the bill, the Carousel people came out in a cake singing 'Happy Birthday' to the tune of 'Too good to be True' (I'm pretty sure that's not the name of the song, but you get it). My jaw dropped. seriously, I was literally shocked to tears, much to the amusement of EVERYONE staring. very very embarrassing, but I was really touched. So that's the apricot cake above, that I received from the restaurant. :)







Mei and I celebrated our birthdays together on the 6th- the day I flew back, and her actual birthday. I think the cake was really the highlight of the night! Mummy ordered the cakes from Sheraton- where I did a stint of temp work in the pastry department, so I got to meet Chef Wong when we went to collect the cake. Mei got her favourite Opera, while I got a custom made cake. I'm bragging here really, but just to clear things up, it really isn't intentional. Really.
When I worked at Sheraton, I fell in love with this palm size chocolate dome. It was only available twice a week, and only in one size. But after making it once (its a tedious process), and having a taste of it, I was smitten. Yes, it does that to you. The chocolate mousse, with the orange creme brulee inside was the best thing I have ever ever tasted. So obviously, I really wanted that for the big one. :D So yup, the square cake is mei's opera, and the bottom two are front view and back view of the cake-of-the-year. yumyumyum.
So yes, that's the end of one week of birthday celebration, with the next spent in Korea, and the week after holding a birthday bash somewhere. Sonya would be so proud of me :)

No comments: