Monday, February 2, 2009

of multiple cuts and school's out.















I cooked dinner for a group of friends last night to celebrate 人日. Apparently, on the 7th day of chinese new year is supposed to be everyone's birthday. I've never celebrated this ever before, but since I felt like cooking, this day was self-declared a must-celebrate :) Together with jia, we cooked up a number of dishes, but it really wasn't my day at all. I got stuck in a massive human jam in chinatown trying to buy tofu, got caught in really strong winds that pushed me backwards and then the accidents started occuring. We do not have a knife holder over here in our flat, and because the boys usually inserts our small fruit knife blade up into the to-dry container, the blade blends in with all our forks and spoons and other butter knives.

Guess what happens next? lol. that's cut number one. cut number 2 was when I was happily chopping the soft bone of the chicken wings. Not sure what exactly happened, but next thing I know, I get 2 cuts on the same finger. O, plus a couple of burns here and there.

whoever said you get to enjoy your (shared-with-entire-chinese-population's) birthday. hah.

but thank goodness, someone up there must've liked me- coz it snowed so heavily (7 inches thick to be exact) that school got cancelled! Best news I've heard in ages really (:(: It felt like a waste to stay at home when the grounds outside look so marshmallow-y and fluffy, so we went out. shopping. yes. we had brunch at muffinski's near covent garden, hung around the area and shopped. Covent looked especially pretty today, covered in a thick sheet of white.. okay, everything looked so much better covered in snow.



























































but because i do not own a single pair of waterproofs, my suede boots turned into nothingness at the end of our 5 hours of random strolling. Right up til the point where i couldn't feel my toes at all - not that fun at all. the boys at home thought we went shopping at Westfields, because its an indoor (big) shopping mall over here. But with 11 out of 12 tube lines closed, that really didn't cross my mind. The look on their faces when i told them we went shopping outdoors- priceless!

On a side note, i've found a new attraction to the Lomography Holga 135. And i think im going to get it- once i get past setting up a paypal account and all the additional paraphernalia. my love for vintage and old school just went up two notches!

And YAY! school's still out tmr! whoo hoo!


No comments: