Thursday, August 27, 2009

All about Shrinkage, and the Meringue got left out.




















After deciding that I've procrastinated for way too long (a week to be exact), I thought it was about time I started exam prep-ing. One of the exam topics will be on the deceptively simple Tarte au Citron. Why Deceptively Simple? Because everything can go wrong, right from stage 1- the dough.

Shrinkage of the dough is every pastry chef's greatest nightmare (or at least mine). I was fixated on not overworking the dough, letting the dough rest amply before doing anything to it and letting it come out of the oven when it cried out for me. The tart was possibly the best I've done to date, with little shrinkage. So yay me!

The second part wasn't as daunting of course, but there's the potential risk of curdling your curd- as strange as that sounds. I didn't think I did too badly for this bit as well.

BUT. Lusting after the perfect tart, when really I have only been two-thirds successful, I neglected my Meringue. Ah, the Meringue in my Lemon Meringue Tart got smooshed. It looks great here, but really, I added the sugar in too quickly :( and perhaps the sugar wasn't ready as well. Also, biggest boo boo was not covering the tart in its entirety, so you can still see yellow bits.

So there, Cherylina really needs to keep her head on her shoulders and not forget the 33.33333% chance of failure.

Big lessons to learn. and hopefully Round 2 Tarte au Citron will yield one for the win :D

No comments: