Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Before Day-Break
















If London were personified, she'd be an enigma. I've always thought I knew London, but the London I know never fails to amaze me. Right smack in the middle of the city, sandwiched between amazing partying hotspots and the financial district is the wholesale Smithfields Meat Market. Isn't that the last place you'd expect to find a market, let alone a wholesale meat market?

Well, at the serviced apartments where I was working at, I was asked where the market was on two separate occasions. I've heard of friends going really early in the morning (because like all wholesale markets they open at insanely early hours and close by 8/9am) just to get fresh eggs and ginormous cuts of meat. Interested as I was then, the small voice in my head nagged at me to not be silly because nothing was worth me getting out of bed at 4am in the morning.

Yet, these two guests piqued my interest! Seriously, if tourists bother to make it one of the must-do activities here in London- where we are famous for so many other things and certainly not our meat, then surely I'd have to make a trip there!

So, me and shun dragged ourselves out of bed at 5 to get there and we were definitely not disappointed :) I haven't placed any pictures up because the sight of the many many carcasses weren't exactly very appetizing and could be slighly offensive. But woah, we got 2 racks of ribs (all 1.8 kilos of it) for a fiver. YES. A FIVER. 'Twas totally worth leaving the warm comfort of my bed that early in the morning.

I really want to kill that little voice in my head.

No comments: