Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Last Day of What We Call Summer




















The new chef today said something that made a lot of sense: Pastry is a luxury. We don't need to survive- we need meat, vegetables and carbohydrates to survive. We don't need sugar. So, because Pastry is a gift, we have to make it look the best we can. Yet, looks are worth nothing if the cake itself tastes bad-- and no one can forgive a cake that tastes awful, despite the successful prettification it has undergone.

Doesn't that make sense? Yes, for sure my cake deco skills can be much improved, but at least I can seek consolation in the fact that the basics that I've learnt on my escapade at LCB will be something that I'll keep with me for life. As long as the ingredients are chosen carefully, reproduction of it will not be as daunting. Cake deco comes with practice, and practice I shall :)

We made Genoise a la Confiture de Framboises and Gateau Foret Noire yesterday. While I was completely disappointed with my medusa resembling vines on the cake, making the Foret Noire was quite enjoyable for me. Only thing was that the cherries were completely mascerated in some really potent alcohol that I'm pretty sure eating a few during the class itself would have rendered me incapable of weighing and measuring anything.

I know the pictures completely don't do the cakes any justice, but it was a quick shot in school before the next class came in for their practical. My cakes didn't really survive the trip home and I blame all 30 degrees of London's blazing heat (hence, no chance for phototaking no.2).


No comments: