Thursday, October 29, 2009

Food for the Weary - ft Gypsy Toast





















The fog of unemployment incessantly circling around me has been refusing to dissipate. Being forced to reckon with the big issues of Life is exhausting and I wonder if I will ever know what kind of ride I'll be in for. In a weird sense, I miss being a student. The predictability of knowing when your lectures are, when your essays are due and when the fearful big exams are almost a comfort.

With big issues and big exams (for the sis) to face, one always turns to comfort food. And in my case, bring on the Gypsy (French) toast! I think I'm probably the only person who could eat Gypsy toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the silky, eggy, milky, sugary concoction just adds so much dimension and character to the boring old bread. Add a pinch of cinnamon, or if you're feeling really rich, scrape in some vanilla beans (the real deal, not the essence/extract), toss it in sizzling buerre noisette and immediately the warm and buttery aroma makes everything so much better.

No comments: