Saturday, October 24, 2009

Venturing into The Land of Puff Pastry




















Attempting to make puff pastry in my little oven of a kitchen is suicidal. But of course, not enough of a deterrence to stop me from attempting it. Yes, I know store bought puff pastry is everywhere. With so many brands at my disposal, I really don't have to go through all that much trouble. Still, as Chef G reminds us constantly, those will never ever taste as good as the ones you make from scratch.

In fact, Puff Pastry land is really worth a venture. Especially if you are feeling particularly stressed up. Hitting the tourage into shape, folding and rolling becomes a chicken-soup-for-the-soul routine.

Well, maybe until you start to see the fat-dough-fat-doughx 729 layers, then it becomes sort of a nightmare, only because you know you are going to eat the morsels of sin you've created.

Because the heat in the kitchen made the fat really impossible to control - what with instantaneous melting of the butter, I had to work really really fast and really really efficiently. Uneven pressure on my pastry resulted in some of the layers tearing, so the result of the pastry itself was quite disappointing.

Nonetheless, I decided to go ahead and make little palmiers out of it. They didn't turn out as flaky as I hoped they would be, but still, the buttery sugar crisp combination made the perfect after-nap snack :)

No comments: