Friday, October 23, 2009

One up for the Alcoholics

























Having way too much time on my hands, I decided that it was time to play around with recipes and try a spin on the classic strawberry shortcake. Because I had one too many mangoes in my fridge and because I had a bottle of vodka lying around (am I the only one guilty of this?) - the only logical happy ending is the marriage of both, oui?

I left my mangoes macerating in the vodka for a good 48 hours, so I think they were pretty potent by then. The strawberries, on the other hand, had to go without their alcoholic bath because somehow, strawberries and cream should be just that, sans frills.

I thought I pretty much found a lasting marriage, but I neglected the fact that my prized kitchen is a living oven. And that means thou shalt not attempt to make enough whipped cream for two cakes in one go under such extreme conditions and with a very sad excuse for a ice bath. Overestimating oneself is really not the smartest thing to do. Starting off with the strawberry shortcake only meant that my Mango Vodka Cake became the sacrificial lamb. The cream didn't go bad, but it became rather un-malleable, making the masking look like it had seen a whole lot of better days. But, I'd like to say that this just means another attempt at the Mango Vodka Cake(MVC) :)

O, and Oscar Wilde says that experience is just another name for our mistakes. Touche.

Keep watching this space to see how MVCII turns out!

No comments: